Thursday, September 30, 2010

Artist: Skrypt
Album: Discord EP
City: Hyderabad, India
Genre: Progressive Thrash Metal

Song List
1. Artifice
2. Anathema
3. Supremacy
4. Constructing The Absolute

Band Line - Up
Vocals: Scenic
Guitars: Ramya
Guitars: Ravi
Drums: Rajiv
Bass: Abbas




   First of all let me start off by saying, I bought this EP from Abbas Razvi (the bass guitarist) in an inebriated state, about a week back. Unaware that I had made such a purchase until about a few hours before I started writing this, I spent the last hour listening to the four tracks which are on the EP and I must say that I am thoroughly impressed. 
   The first thing that captures your interest about the Discord EP is the album art and the layout which is simple yet hard hitting. You don't have to be a genius to guess that this EP is one heavy motherfucker. The first song, titled Artifice, hits you hard like a brick wall. The initial scream by vocalist Scenic seems ominous to the content that is to come. This song is followed by Anathema, a dark and brooding piece with progressive variations and clean guitar instrumentals. The vocals in this song deserve a special mention adding to the eeriness of the music. The third song titled Supremacy opens with a clean guitar intro and leads into some insane guitar work. The perfectly timed grooves in this song will be gnawing on the back of your skull for days after you hear it; I can guarantee you that. Before you know it, you're at the last track titled Constructing The Absolute. This is a brilliantly constructed track (no pun intended) and if you hear closely, you'll be able to make out some smart bass playing as well.
   All the band members have outdone themselves on this venture. One can only comprehend the amount of blood, sweat and alcohol that went into the production of this EP. The production quality is quite satisfactory with a special mention to the guitar mix. On the whole, Discord is a must buy for all metalheads in India and worldwide. Showcasing the raw talent that goes unnoticed in the Indian music scene, this EP is a shove up the ass for the older generation of musicians who keep hogging the limelight, not knowing when it's time to hang up their catheters and step aside. The only negative comment that I am forced to make about this EP is that it is too short. Oh well, as the saying goes, you can't have the cake and eat it. 
   I am sober now and I feel that Discord is the best investment I have ever made in a state of drunkenness (except more booze). Good thing I wasn't drunk when I wrote this.

Star Rating
How much parents hated it - 4
How much I liked it - 4
Overall - 4

No comments:

Post a Comment